Thursday, August 11, 2011

1st week After



My surgery lasted 10 hours and went really well. At first my legs had ace bandages covering them so I couldn't exactly see what I had. When they took off the wraps I had first sight at what I was going to have to live with for about 4 months. That was my first sign of being afraid. I had realized I had almost 10 pounds of metal on my legs. But I knew that I could not let it beat me. For the 1st week in the hospital I was very happy and tried to smile as much as I could. I met many wonderful people and was pretty happy besides the little pain I had. About 3 days after my surgery I had my epidural taken out of my back and their number one priority was to get me to start weight baring. I had wonderful physical therapists that had me standing right away. I knew there was tons of pain that I could not deal with but I left it as is. After 10 days of being in the hospital, I was finally relased to go home. That's when the reality set in. I got home and realized that my life was completely turned upside down. I could no longer walk on my own with out help and I was confined to a wheel chair for a few days. That was the 1st time I cried and really became unhappy with what I had done to myself. But little by little I started to deal with myself. I started physical therapy two days after I got home and had realized that within 12 days I went from being able to play back to back basketball games to being tired from walking 50feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment